[Openstack] Glance performance v1 vs v2

stuart.mclaren at hp.com stuart.mclaren at hp.com
Wed Jun 25 12:54:01 UTC 2014

Hi Sam,

We're just starting to look at v2.

We did see some really slow listing behaviour, backporting
Ie7458044edbe1ef64871bcf5ef4996ed3cc0f957 helped a lot -- but you'll
probably have that change already if you're using more recent code.

Even with that it does seem slower in some cases, eg devstack listing 1000 images:

  v1:
  $ time ./.tox/py27/bin/glance --os-image-api-version 1 image-list > /dev/null
  real	0m6.058s
  user	0m1.348s
  sys	0m0.172s

  v2, no registry:
  $ time ./.tox/py27/bin/glance --os-image-api-version 2 image-list > /dev/null
  real	0m15.487s
  user	0m9.233s
  sys	0m0.120s

  v2, with registry:
  $ time glance --os-image-api-version 2 image-list > /tmp/out
  real	0m21.904s
  user	0m9.217s
  sys	0m0.116s

-Stuart