[Openstack] SPICE console for OpenStack Havana

foss geek thefossgeek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 18:04:52 UTC 2014

I am refering ( http://joshrestivo.com/?p=32 ) to setup the Spice protocol
to use in place of VNC, but for some reason I can not get it to work. I
have configured my nova.conf like so:

I am using OpenStack Havana.

*I). Configuration in Controller Node :*

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

# rpm -qa  | grep spice*
spice-html5-0.1.4-1.el6.noarch
spice-server-0.12.0-12.el6_4.5.x86_64

# vim /etc/nova/nova.conf

*Commented VNC related stuff in nova.conf and configured Spice*

#novncproxy_host=<controller_public_ip>

#novncproxy_port=6080

vnc_enabled=false

spicehtml5proxy_host=195.219.252.164

spicehtml5proxy_port=6082

[spice]

html5proxy_base_url=http://<controller_public_ip>:6082/spice_auto.html

enabled=true

keymap=en-us

*Restated relevant service in controller node:*

# service httpd restart

# service openstack-nova-spicehtml5proxy restart

# netstat -tulpn | grep -E '*6082'
tcp        0      0 195.219.252.164:6082        0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      6154/python

# ps aux | grep -E '*spicehtml5proxy*' | grep -v 'grep'
nova      6154  4.2  0.0 302772 30736 ?        S    17:35   0:00
/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/nova-spicehtml5proxy --logfile
/var/log/nova/spicehtml5proxy.log

# cat /var/log/nova/spicehtml5proxy.log
cat: /var/log/nova/spicehtml5proxy.log: No such file or directory

I am trying to telnet <controller_public_ip> port 6082 from controller node
itself.

# telnet <controller_public_ip> 6082
Trying <controller_public_ip>...
Connected to <controller_public_ip>.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
#

It seems it connects to port 6082 but immediately returns "Connection
closed by foreign host" and close telnet session.

*II). Configuration in Compute Node :*

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

# vim /etc/nova/nova.conf

*Commented VNC related stuff in nova.conf and configured Spice*

#novncproxy_base_url=http://<controller_public_ip>:6080/vnc_auto.html

#vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0

#vncserver_proxyclient_address=192.168.0.3

vnc_enabled=false

#vnc_keymap=en-us

#xvpvncproxy_port=6081

#xvpvncproxy_host=0.0.0.0

[spice]

html5proxy_base_url=http://<controller_public_ip>:6082/spice_auto.html

server_listen=0.0.0.0

server_proxyclient_address=192.168.0.3

enabled=True

agent_enabled=True

keymap=en-us

*Restated relevant service in compute node: *

# service openstack-nova-compute  restart

Trying to telnet <controller_public_ip> from Compute Node

# telnet <controller_public_ip> 6082
Trying <controller_public_ip>...
telnet: connect to address <controller_public_ip>: Connection timed out

Basics question: Does compute node and client machine require access to
controller node 6082 port?

I getting the blow error in VM Instance Console

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems
preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a
later time.

Thanks for your time.