[Openstack] Question about debugging nova-network

Zhi-Wei Lu zwlu at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 6 23:48:36 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have found the problem of starting a nova-network on a controller node with single network node.

nova network-list
+--------------------------------------+----------+------------------+
| ID                                   | Label    | Cidr             |
| f9eadb0b-1c0f-4c48-acdf-aa20987d22d1 | demo-net | 192.168.165.0/24 |

However, the "network" object has a "host" associated with it, which can be seen by directly quering MySQL table.  The network object above has the host associated with one the compute node.  If I start nova-network on any compute node, it would work properly, but if I start nova-network on controller node, the network initialization code would be skipped unless I reset the host to be the controller node.

I don't know if it is a feature or bug of the nova-network.  I hope that this information would be helpful for someone playing with nova-network.

Thank you.

Zhi-Wei Lu
IET-CR-Network Operations Center
University of California, Davis