[Openstack] want to store my images and iso inside swift

Kuo Hugo tonytkdk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 05:39:02 UTC 2014

Hi Dhanesh,

Before answering the questions, I'd like to know what's the authentication
mechanism of your Swift instance ? (Keystone or TempAuth)

As an admin i can access container and i can upload files.
> what about users inside a project. After giving reselleradmin access to
> the project, user is also able to upload files

In case of Swift integrates with Keystone, you can grant roles-tenant-user
relationship inside keystone. Swift is able to allow specific roles for
accessing particular project(swift account).

There're two essential middlewares for leveraging Keystone as the
authentication server for Swift.

   - keystoneauth
   - tokenauth

The authtoken middleware will take care of validating the user
and keystoneauth will authorize access. You can specify permit roles in
keystoneauth(
https://github.com/HugoKuo/swift/blob/master/etc/proxy-server.conf-sample#L280-L282
)

So an user with role in operator or reselleradmin means the user is capable
to operate on the Swift account(project).

> what are the uses of swift in openstack?

Various use cases of OpenStack Swift. As far as your question, Swift is
used for storing instance's raw-images and snapshots with high
availability(3 replicas in general).

Besides images and snapshots, you can store *any data(especially static
data)* inside Swift for high availability.

> How is it useful as a storage?

Object Storage Capabilities

   - OpenStack provides redundant, scalable object storage using clusters
   of standardized servers capable of storing petabytes of data
   - Object Storage is not a traditional file system, but rather a
   distributed storage system for static data such as virtual machine images,
   photo storage, email storage, backups and archives. Having no central
   "brain" or master point of control provides greater scalability, redundancy
   and durability.
   - Objects and files are written to multiple disk drives spread
   throughout servers in the data center, with the OpenStack software
   responsible for ensuring data replication and integrity across the cluster.
   - Storage clusters scale horizontally simply by adding new servers.
   Should a server or hard drive fail, OpenStack replicates its content from
   other active nodes to new locations in the cluster. Because OpenStack uses
   software logic to ensure data replication and distribution across different
   devices, inexpensive commodity hard drives and servers can be used in lieu
   of more expensive equipment.

> what are the datas we can store inside it?

Photos, VM images, Video, archive, document etc. Good for any data that
doesn't be edited frequently. Frequently means the data is needed to be
updated every seconds or mins.

> Will it work like glance?

Glance is a layer to mange images with two major parts, database and
storage media. By default, Glance stores images raw data on local volume
and metadata in a database(e.g. Mysql). Glance supports Swift as the
storage media that you can find the configurations over here (
https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/etc/glance-api.conf#L299 ).

So Swift coordinates with Glance instead of replacing Glance in OpenStack
platform.

> In cloudstack we have primary storage and secondary storage. what is the
> role of swift or object store in opensatck in admin level and project (user
> )level.

Swift is more like the secondary storage of CloudStack.

> Still not clear about swift storage. guide me on this

Hope it help

Hugo Kuo
SwiftStack Inc.