[Openstack] want to store my images and iso inside swift

Hua ZZ Zhang zhuadl at cn.ibm.com
Wed Jun 4 05:35:18 UTC 2014

Misunderstand you question.
If you are looking for OpenStack VM image store,  you should look at Glance
which provides image API and registry service.
Swift can be used as one of the backends of Glance. It can be configured
in /etc/glance/glance-api.conf. You can see the
detailed explanation in that sample file.  Swift certainly can be used pure
object store, without knowing VM image metadata.

if you want tenants to use their own image store, you should enable multi
tenant mode by setting swift_store_multi_tenant =True.
here is some paste FYI.

default_store = glance.store.swift.Store

# If set to True enables multi-tenant storage mode which causes Glance
images
# to be stored in tenant specific Swift accounts.
#swift_store_multi_tenant = False

# A list of swift ACL strings that will be applied as both read and
# write ACLs to the containers created by Glance in multi-tenant
# mode. This grants the specified tenants/users read and write access
# to all newly created image objects. The standard swift ACL string
# formats are allowed, including:
# <tenant_id>:<username>
# <tenant_name>:<username>
# *:<username>
# Multiple ACLs can be combined using a comma separated list, for
# example: swift_store_admin_tenants = service:glance,*:admin
#swift_store_admin_tenants =

-Edward Zhang

             dhanesh1212121212
             <dhanesh1212 at gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
                                       Hua ZZ Zhang/China/IBM at IBMCN
             2014-06-04 下午                                            cc
             12:48                     openstack at lists.openstack.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Openstack] want to store my
                                       images and iso inside swift

Hi All,

As an admin i can access container and i can upload files.

what about users inside a project. After giving reselleradmin access to the
project, user is also able to upload files

what are the uses of swift in openstack?

How is it useful as a storage?

what are the datas we can store inside it?

Will it work like glance?

In cloudstack we have primary storage and secondary storage. what is the
role of swift or object store in opensatck in admin level and project
(user )level.

Still not clear about swift storage. guide me on this

Regards,
Dhanesh.