[Openstack] [metering] Considerations and Roadmap in Ceilometer (or other component) for Financial Management

Lee Calcote (lecalcot) lecalcot at cisco.com
Mon Jun 2 02:52:15 UTC 2014

Hi,

What support does Ceilometer provide today and what support is planned to
provide for financial management? While Ceilometer provides functionality
for *metering* and *billing integration* as two categories of financial
management, does it provide for others (e.g. *pricing* - a method to set
prices on common objects)? I consider that financial management breaks
into these categories (and quite possibly others):

1) Pricing - a method to set prices on common objects
2) Showback - a mechanism to allow users to see the calculated cost of
their purchase during the ordering process
3a) Run Rates - a mechanism for users to see the recurring cost of the
items that they have purchased
3b) Run Rates - a mechanism for administrators to see the recurring cost
of the items that their tenants have purchased
4) Billing Integration - real-time financial events that can be consumed
by a billing system within an extension point
5) Billing - invoicing and payment transacting
6) Metering - financial management based on measured utilization

Is support for these other categories planned for Ceilometer or other
components? Have these use cases been successfully provided for in
Ceilometer to date or have they yet to be achieved -
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ceilometer/blueprints/support-for-advance-s
ervice-billing-models?

I expect these questions are answered by each functional category:

Pricing
- How do I set prices on cloud services?
- How do I give one tenant a discount over another tenant?
Showback
- How much have I, my organization or all my organizations spent?
- How much am I about to spend both as a one-time and recurring cost (run
rate)?
- How much is what I have purchased costing me?
Revenue / Run Rates
- How much are my tenants spending in my cloud?
- Which cloud services are reaping the most revenue (by tenant)?
Billing Integration
- How do I send costs incurred to my incumbent billing system?
Metering
- How am I utilizing my resources?
- Do I need more or less resources?
Billing
-What is my bill? Where is my invoice?
- Where and how do I send my payment?

Are these questions being addressed in Ceilometer or another component?

Thanks,
Lee