[Openstack] [Heat/Havana]: Is volume-id supported for config_drive in OS::Nova::Server...?

Mitsuru Kanabuchi kanabuchi.mitsuru at po.ntts.co.jp
Thu Jan 30 07:41:40 UTC 2014

Hi Juha,

In my understand, config_drive doesn't support volume-id.
Probably, document need fix.

And currently config_drive no longer supports image id.
Please see https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1029647

Only "True" or "False" can set to config_drive property at present.
I could boot instance with config_drive, the following template.

$ cat aaa.template
{
  "AWSTemplateFormatVersion" : "2010-09-09",
  "Resources" : {
    "instance": {
      "Type": "OS::Nova::Server",
      "Properties": {
        "image" : "82b3a663-01be-4303-a479-6bd7cbf44e7d",
        "flavor" : "m1.tiny",
        "config_drive": "True"
      }
    }
  }
}
$ nova show aaa.template-instance-phudcncy2pkz
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Property                             | Value                                                          |
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
(snip)
| OS-DCF:diskConfig                    | MANUAL                                                         |
| config_drive                         | True                                                           |
| created                              | 2014-01-30T07:22:00Z                                           |
| flavor                               | m1.tiny (1)                                                    |
| hostId                               | 2c927cc077998bbac66b529cbaec1623235c46689ad78b192a10bd38       |
| id                                   | e119b3da-d7ca-4871-8393-e2897f5939cd                           |
| image                                | cirros-0.3.1-x86_64-uec (82b3a663-01be-4303-a479-6bd7cbf44e7d) |
| key_name                             | -                                                              |
| metadata                             | {}                                                             |
| name                                 | aaa.template-instance-phudcncy2pkz                             |
| os-extended-volumes:volumes_attached | []                                                             |
| progress                             | 0                                                              |
| public network                       | 172.24.4.3                                                     |
| security_groups                      | default                                                        |
| status                               | ACTIVE                                                         |
| tenant_id                            | f65477c3795d439ebba0a846328a016a                               |
| updated                              | 2014-01-30T07:22:08Z                                           |
| user_id                              | f2827f60d505463d9ae30d9b4cd26f96                               |
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+

Regards

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 08:41:51 +0200
Juha Tynninen <juha.tynninen at tieto.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to define config_drive by using volume-id for OS::Nova::Server
> in a Heat template.
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Nova::Serversays
> that:
>
> config_drive : String
> - value for config drive either boolean, or volume-id.
> - Updates cause replacement.
> - Optional property.
>
> I'm always getting an error:
> Resource create failed: BadRequest: Invalid  config_drive provided. (HTTP
> 400)
>
> I've tried with providing ID of the existing glance image or the ID of the
> existing Cinder volume (it's a bit unclear what is the volume-id that
> should be used).
>
> The idea for me would be to prepare an image/volume containing
> configurations needed by the VM beforehand and then when starting VM I
> would bring this info to VM via config_disk.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Many thanks,
> -Juha

  Mitsuru Kanabuchi