[Openstack] [Heat/Havana]: Is volume-id supported for config_drive in OS::Nova::Server...?

Juha Tynninen juha.tynninen at tieto.com
Thu Jan 30 06:41:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to define config_drive by using volume-id for OS::Nova::Server
in a Heat template.

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Nova::Serversays
that:

config_drive : String
- value for config drive either boolean, or volume-id.
- Updates cause replacement.
- Optional property.

I'm always getting an error:
Resource create failed: BadRequest: Invalid  config_drive provided. (HTTP
400)

I've tried with providing ID of the existing glance image or the ID of the
existing Cinder volume (it's a bit unclear what is the volume-id that
should be used).

The idea for me would be to prepare an image/volume containing
configurations needed by the VM beforehand and then when starting VM I
would bring this info to VM via config_disk.

Any tips?

Many thanks,
-Juha