[Openstack] Network interfaces with VMware & Neutron OVS

Romain Ziba romain.ziba at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 09:24:35 UTC 2014

Hello, I've configured a multi-node infrastructure with a controller and
two compute nodes. One of the compute node is a basic QEMU and the other
one is a VMware compute node using the VMwareESXDriver. On the controller,
I have configured Neutron using OpenVSwitch.

Everything works fine with a VM created on the QEMU hypervisor. But when I
create a VM with cirrOS on VMware via Openstack, the network interfaces are
not recognized by the OS. I can see thanks to Vsphere Client that the VM
has a network adapter connected to br-int but nothing in the OS (no eth0).

I'm wondering if the problem comes from OpenVSwitch. I've read in some docs
that OpenVSwitch is not compatible with a VMware compute node.
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/ope...<http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-network/admin/content/flexibility.html>

However, in this doc, the problem is not raised:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/confi...<http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/config-reference/content//vmware.html#VMWare_networking>

Then, what's your opining? Do I have to change for NVP plugin? Is the
problem somewhere else?

Is it easy to change OVS plugin to NVP?

Thanks beforehand.

Best regards,