[Openstack] How to enable Modular L2 Multi-Segemnt Network

Kyle Mestery mestery at siliconloons.com
Wed Jan 22 14:26:59 UTC 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 8:45 PM, Li, Chen <chen.li at intel.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I noticed there is a blueprint named “Modular L2 Multi-Segment Network API” : https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/ml2-multi-segment-api.
>
> I want to enable it in my set-up, to help me understand:
> 1.       What is a multi-segment network

A multi-segment network is exactly as it sounds: A single Neutron network which
is comprised of multiple, disparate individual segments. These could be the same
type, such as both VLANs or both GRE tunnels. But they conceptually make up
a single Neutron network.

> 2.       How it works.

Internally, ML2 will ensure these are both part of the same network. However, for
traffic to flow individually between them, you will need to “bridge” (for lack of a better
word) these networks together externally. The typical use case here would be
something like a VXLAN to VLAN GW, which could be done in a ToR which supports
both VLANs and VXLANs. At some point we plan to implement this “bridging” using
a vSwitch such as OVS as well.

> 3.       Why would people need this kind of network configuration usage.

If you have some devices, VMs, or hosts on one type of network (e.g. VLAN), and
you want to provide access to devices, VMs, or hosts on another type (e.g. VXLAN),
this allows you to do that.

> 4.       How the performance would looks like.

The performance would be dependent on the underlying system which is translating
the network types.

> But, I didn’t find any guide for this.
>
> Anyone can help me on this ?
> Something I should read ?
>
> Some steps/commands I should run to create the network ?

The steps to use this are not documented, and that needs to be addressed.
Vish was going to have a look at this and see what he could setup, if he has
done that maybe he’ll reply here. Otherwise, I’ll come up with some rough
documentation and send it out.

Thanks,
Kyle