[Openstack] Wiki love for projects pages

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jan 7 10:26:20 UTC 2014

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> There are quite some differences between wiki pages for the projects and
> more often than not I and others end up having to hit the search button
> to find out small details about a project, like who's the current PTL or
> when the project has its meetings. Also, sometimes reporters land on a
> page hosted on our wiki and they assume that whatever is on the wiki is
> officially endorsed by OpenStack as a whole.

Note that the current wiki landing pages are about programs (collection
of projects handled by the same development team), not projects. Would
you rather have one page per project ? For example, one for Nova and one
for Python-Novaclient ? Or just one for the Compute program listing both ?

> To alleviate these issues, I think it would be good to make sure that
> all project pages standardize on showing a minimum amount of common
> details in an easy to read fashion. Something like the Infobox you see
> on many pages on Wikipedia.

+1. Been on my TODO list for a while to go and standardize at least all
of the ones that are linked from the top-level wiki page.

> I scanned the wiki and tried to collect a minimum set of data already
> shown but not consistently.  For example, an infobox template would look
> something like:
>
> {{Infobox
>
> Full name = OpenStack Networking
> Code name = Neutron
> Source code =
> Bug tracker =
> Blueprints =
> RoadMap =
> Developer doc =
> Current PTL =
> Meetings =
> Status 	=   Integrated | Incubation | Related
> FAQ = Link to Ask/tag=
>
> }}

Note that this duplicates information which has its reference elsewhere:

Full name / Codename / PTL / Status (as well as list of projects) should
appear in the governance repo (and in autogenerated governance docs) soon.

Meetings appear on the calendar and also appear on the Meetings wikipage.

So there is a risk for that information to go stale as the reference
place gets modified...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)