[Openstack] international standard for object storage architecture

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed Jan 1 09:04:17 UTC 2014

I think you'll find that object storage is relatively new enough in the storage world and there isn't an international standard (or at least one that is widely used).

I have seen three things, primarily.

1) Amazon S3: huge because the AWS ecosystem is huge.
2) CDMI: s standard promoted by SNIA that isn't widely adopted.
3) OpenStack Swift: part of OpenStack and being added to other storage systems too.

Swift has community plugins to support the S3 API (https://github.com/fujita/swift3) and the CDMI API (https://github.com/osaddon/cdmi).

I'm obviously biased here, but I want to see the Swift API used any time an application is speaking to an object storage system. And I think we've made great progress towards this goal in the last few years. By using Swift, you have support for some of the other APIs out there and you get native support for the Swift API itself.

--John