[Openstack] [SWIFT] What happens when the shard count on available disk is less than the total shard count?

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 17:10:06 UTC 2014

My question arises from our switch to dedicated SSD servers for our
container servers.

When first creating the shard number there were 23*12 so I set the
partition to 15. Now I'm replacing container services on these disk with 4
hosts that a have a single, fast SSD.

However I realize that the shard count is completely different now. I
originally used a partition value of 15 but this now seems much to high for
4 servers with only disk each.

Can anyone advice on the best way to go about this? Can I dynamically
adjust the partition values after the swift ring has been created? Or
should I just take the disks on my 4 SSD hosts and put their weight as 2^15
/ 4 so the overall shard count stays the same?

Thanks again in advice for all the help I get here. This list is incredible.
--
Stephen Wood
www.heystephenwood.com