[Openstack] Neutron and ML2 - adding new network type

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 13:47:46 UTC 2014

On 02/18/2014 10:12 AM, Sławek Kapłoński wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to make something with neutron and ML2 plugin. Now I need to
> add my own external network type (as there are "Flat", "VLAN", "GRE" and
> so on). I searched for manuals for that but I can't found anything. Can
> someone of You explain me how I should do that? Is it enough to add own
> type_driver and mechanism_driver to ML2? Or I should do something else
> also?

Hi Sławek,

In general, all that should be needed to extend ML2 with new drivers is:

1) Add the new driver class(es)
2) Add the new driver entry points to neutron.ml2.type_drivers and/or
neutron.ml2.mechanism_drivers in setup.cfg.
3) When using the new drivers, list their entry points in type_drivers
and/or mechanism_drivers in the [ml2] section of
etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/ml2_conf.ini, and add any other needed
configuration for those drivers.

I think discussing the specifics of what you are trying to accomplish
with these new drivers on openstack-dev, at the upcoming design summit,
at the weekly ML2 IRC meeting, and/or in a blueprint, would pay off,
since adding new drivers may or may not be the best solution. Generally,
type drivers should correspond to specific virtual network segmentation
methods, or maybe to variations on the way those are managed (i.e.
tunnel endpoint management).

Hope this helps,

-Bob