[Openstack] [SWIFT] Container server timeouts

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 20:32:29 UTC 2014

We've been having issues with our container servers timing out and simply
returning a 404. The container servers themselves are on busy disks that
aren't particularly overloaded, but are definitely under load.

The messages look like the following:
Feb 10 20:22:19 proxy01 swift ERROR with Container server
storage01:6001/slot-11 re: Trying to GET
/v1/AUTH_swift/very_busy_container: Timeout (10s) (txn:
tx6b921c72e5524589839fe-0052f934e7

I realize this container has too many keys, but unfortunately I cannot
shard it for now because we need to keep parity with S3 (which does
internal bucket sharding).

What are the best ways to tackle busy container servers timing out? Should
I increase the node timeout, or begin creating separate container servers
that are running on SSDs? Is there any serious drawback to increase the
node timeout?

Also, has there been any update on internal container sharding? This
feature would make S3 migrations much easier.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.

--
Stephen Wood
www.heystephenwood.com