[Openstack] [Cinder] restricting volume types by project?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Mon Feb 10 19:12:02 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Is it possible to restrict volume types to (or from) specific
projects?  I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 + Havana and currently not defining
any volume types.

I'm not looking to do anything particularly creative here I'd just
like attach a test volume backend to my production systems, but I want
the scheduler to only schedule volumes there if specifically
requested.  I'd prefer if this was only visible to specific tenants.

I've seen the multi backend documentation here:
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/managing-volumes.html#multi_backend

What I'm not clear on is what happens if users don't specify a type if
there are multiple types, it seems it would fall back to using any
available storage, which is what I don't want to happen.

Thanks,
-Jon