[Openstack] Openstack capabilities

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 16:52:35 UTC 2014

On 12/22/2014 11:20 AM, Eriane Leobrera wrote:
> Hi OpenStack,
>
> I would really appreciate if anyone can assist me on my dilemma. Below
> are the capabilities I am looking for. We are on the process of deciding
> between OpenStack vs CloudStack. Capabilities are much more important
> for us, integrated and having everything automated.
>
> Here are the list below:

I've tried to give you honest answers from the OpenStack roadmap and
currently-supported perspective below.

> 1.Integration with CRM 2013 (service tickets, lead/opportunity,
> contact/account and billing system).

Not supported now. Not likely to ever be supported by OpenStack, too
much of a custom feature.

> 2.Integration with payment gateway (Moneris)

Not supported now. Not likely to ever be supported by OpenStack, too
much of a custom feature.

> 3.PCI Compliant solution

This is a giant rabbithole.

> 4.Audit trail enabled on all interactions (i.e server shutdown etc.)

OpenStack currently supports notification queues that can be used to
provide audit capabilities.

> 5.Support buying a new VM, signing up, auto charging them by credit card
> verification and auto provisioning VMs.

Not supported now. Not likely to ever be supported by OpenStack, too
much of a custom feature for the user interface, which is something that
OpenStack's upstream UI (Horizon) is unlikely to develop.

> 6.Upgrade existing VMs with ability to reboot VM to have resources added

Currently supported. This is the resize/migrate operation in nova.

> 7.Cancel VM which stops billing and scheduling for VM to be removed for
> x days later

Not currently supported. Possibly supported some time in the future if
we decide it's worthwhile to put time-based constraints and reservations
into the scheduler.

> 8.Support for pay by the minute billing

OpenStack does not ship a billing solution. This is something that is
the responsibility of the operator, since it's a *very* custom feature
and almost always involves proprietary code linking.

> 9.Support for multiple data centre locations

This is currently supported.

> 10.Supports a DNS Manager

This is currently supported with the Designate component.

> 11.Ability to do a hard shutdown on VM

This is currently supported.

> 12.Ability to have console level access

This is currently supported.

> 13.Spin up new instance which wipes old instance and ability to reinstall

This doesn't really make any sense. This isn't cloud. This is bare-metal
hosting you are describing.

OpenStack's VMs are hosted in the cloud -- i.e. virtualized. When you
terminate a VM, you lose the data on the VM's ephemeral storage, which
is why for data that you need to keep around, you use volumes (block
storage).

> 14.Supports backup manager

The snapshot operation and daily/weekly/hourly backup operations are
currently supported via OpenStack Nova's API. However, if you're looking
for some Windows GUI that does backups, that isn't something that
OpenStack is about to provide.

> 15.Ability to change password for panel login via email or security
> questions etc.

Changing passwords is currently supported. Security questions are a
UI-specific thing and not something that is built-into OpenStack's APIs.

> 16.VM management windows the shows RAM, CPU usage, IP, server name etc.
> (dashboard)

This is currently supported.

> 17.Scheduled maintenance window that shows upcoming or passed (dashboard)

This is not supported.

> 18.Dashboard showing all VMs and current utilizations

This is currently supported.

> 19.One click install software packages for define package

Are you looking for an infrastructure service or a platform service?
OpenStack's infrastructure services manage virtualized resources.
Platform services, like the Murano project in Stackforge, can be used to
interface with things like CloudFoundry to let you define software
packages that would get installed on your virtual resources.

> 20.Monitoring management to turn on/off or silence alerts

This is not supported by OpenStack. This is something you can install
yourself and use as you want.

> 21.Mobile support for rebooting VMs

This is not supported.

> 22.Security Threat Center

? We have a security advisory mailing list. But OpenStack is not Macafee
Windows software.

> 23.Token tracking for resellers of our services

This is not supported.

> I would really appreciate if anyone can take a time to put a yes/no/NA
> next to each of the item on the list, it will definitely help me big
> time. I tried reading and watching few videos but I would really like to
> make sure as some of the items on the list are must haves.

It really sounds to me like you are looking for some all-in-one hosting
solution, not really running your own cloud infrastructure. I'd
recommend looking at just being a customer or reseller of one of the
cloud providers like Rackspace Cloud, HP Cloud, Amazon Web Services, or
Softlayer.

Best,
-jay