[Openstack] What's physical network for?

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Dec 15 07:53:36 UTC 2014

Hi Gonzalo,
from having a look, at the configuration reference [1], I see that the
bridge_mappings is only required in the [ovs] section [2] and not in the
ml2 configuration for vlan [3].

And also the code says, that the bridge_mappings attribute needs to be
in the [ovs] section.

You're talking about two configuration files. I guess the question is,
which config file is used by your services (neutron-openvswitch-agent
and  neutron-server)? You can find out via

# ps -ax | grep neutron-

Maybe one of your files is not even used? Or maybe the neutron server
takes one and the openvswitch agent the other file. The relevant file is
the one that is used by openvswitch The attribute should be in there!

Just have a try! Change it in your config file, restart the neutron
services and check if it is still working.

When is it required? Always for vlan and flat networking in the data or
in the external network. But it's not  required for tunneling in the
datanetwork. I'm not sure about tunneling in the external network!! I'll
give you an example:

Datanetwork = gre, External network=flat --> bridge_mappings specifies
the bridge for the external flat network.

Datanetwork =vxlan, external network = vxlan --> I don't know!

Datanetwork vlan, external network flat --> Bridges for both network
need to be specified

Hope this helps!

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/juno/config-reference/content/section_networking-options-reference.html