[Openstack] VM lose connectivity if created new. Have to restart neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent

Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado gaguilar at aguilardelgado.com
Sun Dec 14 18:22:04 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Question is. Why I have to restart neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent to
recover networking from new machines?

I found a problem creating machines in a new node I've built. And
realized that this happens on all my nodes of current version.

neutron 2.3.4
nova      2.17.0

My logs shows that neutron assign vlan 2 for the new machine and this
causes the machine to not have connectivity.

---------------------------------------
2014-12-14 17:57:07.321 12501 INFO
neutron.plugins.openvswitch.agent.ovs_neutron_agent [-] Assigning 2 as
local vlan for net-id=727b0415-f066-40d9-8147-183e07dd7b23
20
---------------------------------------

If I shut down the machine and restart neutron plugin agent for ovs:

#> restart neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent

---------------------------------------
 ...  assigning 1 as local vlan for
net-id=727b0415-f066-40d9-8147-183e07dd7b23

And the machine recovers connectivity.

In the even of faillure (after creating it):

If I start the machine without ip and set it manually I can try to ping
it. It says it's not reachable but after restating the plugin
automatically recovers connectivity. So no restart or further
configuration is made.

Maybe I have something wrong configured but it seems like a bug.

Can someone point me to the right place?