[Openstack] Technical advantages of Openstack over Cloudstack

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Dec 9 05:46:26 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2014-12-08 13:52:38 -0800:
> Hi Jordi, thank you SO much for this email. It is excellent feedback for
> our community and our developers. I've provided some comments inline,
> but overall just wanted to thank you for bringing some of these product
> needs to our attention.
>
> On 12/03/2014 01:42 PM, Jordi Moles Blanco wrote:
> > And that's why I'm asking you as Openstack experts. You see, I managed
> > to deploy a Cloustack 4.4.1 platform with 2 compute nodes (for
> > live-migration testing) in less than 2 hours, while it took me days to
> > deploy an Openstack infrastructure that was functional and sometimes it
> > just breaks and I have to reboot some nodes or redeploy with Fuel.
>
> This is an extremely common complaint about OpenStack. That it is just
> too difficult to install and configure a simple OpenStack environment
> with common compute, block storage, and networking functionality.
>
> I could sit here and say that this problem is due to the fact that
> OpenStack's community has embraced each and every configuration
> management system, deployment architecture, and package management
> platform and therefore the complexity you find is simply due to the
> dizzying array of options and flexibility offered by the ecosystem.
>
> But, of course, that would be a complete cop-out and terrible excuse.
> The fact is, our installation and deployment story is currently overly
> complicated, inconsistently documented, and difficult for newcomers to
> get their heads around. That needs to be fixed.

We've at least decided, in spirit, to provide a single mission for
automated Deployment using OpenStack itself. HP is even shipping a
product, Helion, that uses it.

Turns out this isn't the easiest thing in the world. OpenStack is a
service oriented architecture, and making a _generic_ deployment tool,
even just focusing on the default configurations, is a challenge with
such a flexible architecture.

Keep your eyes on the Tuskar space. It is intended to be a nice GUI for
planning and deploying OpenStack. That, combined with a more generally
consumable Deployment program, should have us in much better shape soon.