[Openstack] Technical advantages of Openstack over Cloudstack

jtan admin at grails.asia
Tue Dec 9 05:01:15 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jordi, thank you SO much for this email. It is excellent feedback for
> our community and our developers. I've provided some comments inline, but
> overall just wanted to thank you for bringing some of these product needs
> to our attention.
>
> On 12/03/2014 01:42 PM, Jordi Moles Blanco wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've been looking though the old messages in this list and I haven't
>> found this kind of information (sorry if it is present somewhere and I
>> couldn't find), so I decided to ask you because you are the experts on
>> this.
>>
>> We want to build a new cloud platform and we have been playing with both
>> options for a while.
>>
>> There are plenty of articles where people give their opinion about which
>> stack technology is better, but they are more business-oriented than
>> technically-oriented.
>>

> Agreed. And, to be fair, we try not to promote the idea that there is
> always a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody's needs.
>
> Both OpenStack and Cloudstack are solutions that work well for certain
> customers -- anybody who says one is a good solution and the other isn't is
> being dishonest or shallow.
>
>  I don't want to do that, I don't think there are good or bad players in
>> this game, just different options that you have to know very well before
>> you make your decision.
>>

> ++
>
>  And that's why I'm asking you as Openstack experts. You see, I managed
>> to deploy a Cloustack 4.4.1 platform with 2 compute nodes (for
>> live-migration testing) in less than 2 hours, while it took me days to
>> deploy an Openstack infrastructure that was functional and sometimes it
>> just breaks and I have to reboot some nodes or redeploy with Fuel.
>>

> This is an extremely common complaint about OpenStack. That it is just too
> difficult to install and configure a simple OpenStack environment with
> common compute, block storage, and networking functionality.
>
> I could sit here and say that this problem is due to the fact that
> OpenStack's community has embraced each and every configuration management
> system, deployment architecture, and package management platform and
> therefore the complexity you find is simply due to the dizzying array of
> options and flexibility offered by the ecosystem.
>
> But, of course, that would be a complete cop-out and terrible excuse. The
> fact is, our installation and deployment story is currently overly
> complicated, inconsistently documented, and difficult for newcomers to get
> their heads around. That needs to be fixed.

One of the new cloud service provider I am following (iwStack) chose
CloudStack for their  platform because of this.  He thinks CloudStack is
more organized while OpenStack is a mix and match collections of services
and API.

--
Freelance Grails <http://grails.asia/> and Java <http://javadevnotes.com/>
 developer