[Openstack] instance_info_caches table, nova not populating for some instances

Don Waterloo don.waterloo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:58:28 UTC 2014

I am having a problem that I hope someone can comment on.

Periodically, an instance ends up w/ 0 rows in 'instance_info_caches' in
the nova database.

as a consequence, when i do 'nova list', it ends up without knowing
anything about the networks. The instance is allocated an IP, has booted,
is able to use that IP. Neutron owns the port for it, all is good from that
standpoint, its just nova knows nothing about it.

Is 'info_caches' something that is truly a cache? it seems the only known
repository.

There are some spots its possible its not written w/ no message, e.g. in
network/manager.py:
_do_trigger_security_group_members_refresh_for_instance()
        try:
            # NOTE(vish): We need to make sure the instance info cache has
been
            #             updated with new ip info before we trigger the
            #             security group refresh. This is somewhat
inefficient
            #             but avoids doing some dangerous refactoring for a
            #             bug fix.
            nw_info = self.get_instance_nw_info(admin_context, instance_id,
                                                None, None)
            ic = objects.InstanceInfoCache.new(admin_context, instance_id)
            ic.network_info = nw_info
            ic.save(update_cells=False)
        except exception.InstanceInfoCacheNotFound:
            pass

no error, no message will be thrown.

It appears its intended to update periodically
(update_instance_cache_with_nw_info()), not sure if that is my problem
(e.g. the refresh wiped it) or the workaround (e.g. it will eventually(?)
fix).

Anyone have any light to shed on this?