[Openstack] Onboarding interested contributors to Openstack

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed Aug 27 18:11:34 UTC 2014

I have an idea and hoping to get some thoughts on whether it's a good or
bad idea.

Something I've been hearing the last couple summits is folks who have seen
the light and want to get involved with the project is that they don't know
where to go, where to start since the amount of information covered in the
docs and projects they cover can be pretty overwhelming. Especially for the
first time.

One of the ways I've seen complexity successfully navigated for newcomers
is through a sort of guide/mentor program where someone hears what the
newcomer determines the interest level, what they want to do, advises them
where the greatest need currently is in that area, makes the necessary
introductions and basically guides them through the process until they are
in a project. Is there plans that accommodate interested people to get
onboard with a sort of guided assist or mentor? If not per se, would there
be any interest in it? Maybe not as its own program but as a Community
sub-program that amounts to a welcoming committee.

Is this something that resonates with anyone or is it already being done
somewhere?

Sort of like a "Start Here" for the new folks.

*Adam Lawson*
AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street
Ste. 58461