[Openstack] Horizon Dashboard: instance's Uptime continues to increment after the instance is shutdown

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Aug 27 16:13:44 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 09:06 AM, Danny Choi (dannchoi) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Horizon Dashboard, Project -> Compute -> Instances, after an instance
> is shutdown, it’s Uptime continues to increment.  Is this a correct
> behavior?

I'm pretty sure this is expected behaviour.  I agree the terminology is
confusing though.  It's more "time since server creation" rather than
"uptime".

I suspect the origin of the term is that typically with a public cloud
you get billed for the whole time your server is defined.  In a typical
"cloud" environment you would rarely shut down a server--it's either
running or you destroy it completely and rebuild a new one if needed in
the future.

Chris