[Openstack] Heat-IceHouse, stack creation fails

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 03:50:47 UTC 2014

On 06/08/14 14:32, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com
> <mailto:sbaker at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/08/14 09:25, Parisa Heidari wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>     I am trying Heat - IceHouse but I cannot even create a tiny VM as explained in
>>     the documents
>>     (http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt/content/heat-verify.html).
>>     In Heat-engine log file, I saw that "stack-user-domain" ID is not set in the
>>     heat.conf file. So I modified heat.conf and added admin ID (the one defined
>>     when Keystone was installed and configured) and its name and password for
>>     stack_user_domain, stack_domain_admin, and stack_domain_admin_password,
>>     respectively. But still stack creation fails and I see in the logs that
>>     "ClientException: The server has either erred or is incapable of performing the
>>     requested operation".
>>
>>     What should be set in heat.conf as stack-user-domain and other corresponding
>>     variables? should I create a new domain for Heat and how?
>>
>>     Many thanks,
>>     Parisa
>>
>     It looks like you need to run the heat-keystone-setup-domain
>     script and copy the resulting snippet into heat.conf
>

> Hi Steve,
> Should that script be part of the install docs? Currently it just
> says to Create the heat_stack_user role.
>
> I can log a doc bug, just want to be clear what it is that's missing.

We do have https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1326483 for the missing
man page.

For the doc bug, the heat installation instructions need to describe
when and how to run heat-keystone-setup-domain[1]
but actually for the icehouse release of heat the script is
create_heat_domain[2]

Having said all that, if the heat domain is not configured there is
fallback code which reverts to the Havana behaviour of requiring the
stack launching user be an admin, and _that_ may be the cause of
Parisa's error above.

[1]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/heat/tree/bin/heat-keystone-setup-domain
[2]