[Openstack] [openstack][SWIFT] I want to talk about costs !! (against amazon S3)

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed Apr 30 22:10:49 UTC 2014

On Apr 30, 2014, at 11:59 AM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu> wrote:

> I'd say an interesting question is how many users want storage that only
> lets you put, get, and delete a file. A private cloud storage is
> trivially re-exportable as a filesystem, how easy is that with
> commercial offerings?

1) "storage that only lets you put, get, and delete a file"

I'm curious what you mean by this. Depending on your view, Swift certainly does a lot more than this. It also makes sure those files are stored correctly and protected against hardware failure (a non-trivial problem). And from the client API side, there are many other features (versioned writes, CORS, manifests, signed URLs, ACLs, etc etc etc).

But I suppose from a different perspective, Swift "just" reads and writes files.

2) "trivially re-exportable as a filesystem"

There's nothing trivial about exporting an eventually consistent, stateless, distributed object storage system as a filesystem. There are some current projects that offer a bridge, but they often have serious performance problems (as a result of layering protocols with completely different semantics).

--John