[Openstack] Documentation for different releases

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Apr 29 15:38:00 UTC 2014

Great questions Sekhar. More inline.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Sekhar Vajjhala <sekharv01 at gmail.com>wrote:

> A few documentation related questions.
>
> 1. Where can I find the documentation specific to particular releases -
> e.g. Havana, Icehouse, documentation in progress ?

You can go to http://docs.openstack.org/trunk to find all the
continuously-published guides, you can go to
http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse for Icehouse docs, and
http://docs.openstack.org/havana for Havana docs. That said, only two
source docs are published with a release, everything else is continuous.
See more below.

> 2. Does the documentation on  http://docs.openstack.org/ refer to the
> latest released version  i.e. Icehouse  ?

There are just a few guides that are published with a release: the four
Install Guides and the Configuration Reference. So the
http://docs.openstack.org landing page has links to all the current
released documentation.

Most of our guides are written so that they are continually published at
any time in the release cycle.

> 3. Once a new version is released, is documentation for the previous
> release (e.g. Havana ) available anywhere ?

Only for the Install Guides and Configuration Reference. Everything else is
written so that notes about release-specific information are maintained for
as long as the release is supported.

> The reason for these questions is that I started with Havana release, but
> subsequently Icehouse was released. Now, when I run into an issue or have a
> question, I am not sure how to get the documentation to related to Havana
> release.

Often times there's not a big difference but when you want to ask in-depth
questions I'd say go to http://ask.openstack.org.
Hope this helps -
Anne