[Openstack] NOTE: Re: migrate cinder volume

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 24 17:06:00 UTC 2014

On 04/01/2014 05:13 PM, John Griffith wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu>wrote:
>>
>> is there a command to migrate a volume from one cinder host to another?

> [root at osc-1 cinder]# cinder help migrate
> usage: cinder migrate [--force-host-copy <True|False>] <volume> <host>

FYI: this does not work with bootable volumes. That is, it will make a
copy of the volume on <host> with new uuid. And since simply
re-attaching /dev/vda doesn't seem to be possible, you have to either
nuke and re-create the instance or spend an unknown amount of time
trying to figure out exactly which tables and xmls you have to edit
where and what services you need to restart afterwards.

So the answer is you can't move any volume from one storage host to
another, you can only copy unattached volumes.

This adds to the long list of issues I have with lvm. I wish there was a
usable zfs backend... for now I'm nuking lvm from this storage node and
switching to nfs.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin