[Openstack] Problems assigning network to vm in new Host Aggregate

Andrew Stringer andrew at rainsbrook.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 10:24:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have an openstack setup roughly as follows, one controller and 6 compute
nodes. Recently we have bought 4 new compute nodes which are a higher
spec.

To try to allow us to control where vms get placed, I have created two
host aggregates, one to run the m1 flavours and another to run m2 flavours
which have been created to have higher spec base images.

Key pairs have been created with nova flavor-key m1.tiny set m1=true and
nova flavor-key m2.tiny set m2=true

The compute nodes have been assigned to host aggregates m1 or m2 with
nova aggregate-add-host 4 ncom-9, (due to some initial testing, the HA
groups are numbered 3 & 4), so ncom-9 shows up in aggregate m2.

I can launch an instance of m2.tiny and it goes to the correct hypervisor
group, however, networking does not complete, horizon shows:-

testZZZ	ubuntu-12.04		m2.tiny | 512MB RAM | 1 VCPU | 10.0GB Disk
rservers	Error	None	No State	20 minutes

The console log tab error with :-
Unable to get log for instance "a27c0084-008e-4f96-85ee-60febe882e2c"

I am unsure of where to look to try to debug this further as I am still
somewhat new to openstack.

Am I doing something obviously wrong or abusing the way host aggregates
work?

Regards,
Andrew.

--