[Openstack] [Cinder] Attach the volume in Local Disk failed. The log in nova/compute.log said "libvirtError: unsupported configuration: disk bus 'ide' cannot be hotplugged"

Qixiaozhen qixiaozhen at huawei.com
Wed Sep 18 12:17:07 UTC 2013

Hi,all

The openstack was running on one server in my experiment. The VolumeGroup named 'cinder-volumes' was comprised by a local disk partition whose name was '/dev/sda2'.

A volume was created in the dashboard, and I tried to attach it to a running instance. However, the operation was failed.

The exception in nova/compute.log said that the disk bus ide could not be hotplugged.

As known to all, the ide bus cannot be hotplugged to a running instance.

It seems that the current version used the bus type 'ide' as the default one.

In this case, all the volumes created in the 'cinder-volumes' cannot be hotplugged into the running vm. You can never attach a volume to a suspend instance in the dashboard. There is no choice to this in the portal.

How can I choose the type 'virtio' when the volume has been attached?

[root at localhost nova]# nova --version
2.13.0
[root at localhost nova]# uname -a
Linux localhost 3.9.4-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri May 24 20:10:49 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root at localhost nova]#

Thank you.