[Openstack] Instances running on VMware ESXi are unable to configure IP

Rahul Sharma rahulsharmaait at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 11:48:30 UTC 2013

Hi All,****

** **

When we create port-group “br-int” on ESX and launch instance, instance
gets launched on ESX and is assigned port-group br-int. Since this br-int
is unable to communicate with network-node over GRE, communication fails.
Diagram with “initial-setup” shown below lists the connectivity of
Nova-compute placed on ESX-host and instances getting launched on ESX host:-
****

** **

****

** **

To allow vm’s to communicate with network node over GRE, we can assign one
more nic(eth2) to nova-compute, put br-int(esx) in promiscuous mode and add
 eth2 to “br-int” on nova-compute. Now the packet will traverse as VM ->
br-int(esx) -> eth2(compute) -> br-int(compute) -> br-tun(compute) ->
Network-Node(over GRE tunnel). Below diagram explains the same:-****

** **

****

** **

** **

** **

*Still this will not work because the rules configured on openvswitches
(br-int and br-tun) will drop the packets!!!*

** **

Inbuilt Openvswitch-controller configures the vswitches to allow only
specific flows which matches the rules installed on them. Even if we add
eth2 to br-int, we will also need to add generic rules to br-int and br-tun
such that they are able to pass the packets received from eth2 to br-int,
then to br-tun and then to network node over GRE tunnel. Here is one sample
output of the flow-dumps of br-int and br-tun of compute node:-****

** **

*br-int flows:-*

NXST_FLOW reply (xid=0x4):****

cookie=0x0, duration=96.138s, table=0, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0, priority=1
actions=NORMAL****

** **

*br-tun flows:-*

NXST_FLOW reply (xid=0x4):****

cookie=0x0, duration=98.322s, table=0, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0, priority=1
actions=drop****

** **

** **

Can someone help me in identifying what flows I should add such that I am
not breaking any functionality of quantum. Though the above workaround will
allow vm’s on ESX to communicate with one another which should not be
allowed(if they are under different tenants), rest everything almost works
fine.****

** **

Any inputs or suggestions for this would be greatly acknowledged.****

** **