[Openstack] How much partition number should be on disk

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 14:33:09 UTC 2013

At a minimum, you want 100 partitions per disk.  More partitions doesn't
really matter unless you get way too many (for example 100K partitions on a
disk is probably a bad idea).  And yes, since there are 3 replicas, there
will be 3 copies of every partition.

When determining the part power, you really want to think about what the
max size of your cluster in terms of disk might be, and calculate how many
partitions you need based on that, not how many disks you have now.

I have a google spreadsheet that can help determine what part size to use:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At4SyQdtaLTjdGp6R0ZiNnhYQV9WUDJFcllHODJJZFE&usp=sharing

Changing the parameters will show you what the max size a cluster can be
based on the chosen partition size.

--
Chuck