[Openstack] flat public interface and tenant vlans - how to do public net?

Ilkka Tengvall ilkka.tengvall at cybercom.com
Thu Sep 5 13:02:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would need some help here. How do I tell quantum (grizzly, rdo, not
neutron yet...) to create flat public network?

I have setup my controller and node interfaces like this:

controller:

eth1
  - flat public interface with external physical router,
    port for br-ex ovs
bond1
  - vlan trunk port for tenant networks bridge (ovs)

nodes:

bond1 vlan trunk for tenant networks (ovs)

Now I can create the tenant networks on the chosen vlans just fine. The
problem is that I would like to communicate out, and it doesn't allow me
to create the public network on br-ex or eth1. How to do that:

# quantum net-create public --provider:network_type flat
--provider:physical_network br-ex --router:external=True
Invalid input for operation: Unknown provider:physical_network br-ex.
# quantum net-create public --provider:network_type flat
--provider:physical_network eth1 --router:external=True
Invalid input for operation: Unknown provider:physical_network eth1.

The instructions are here:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/under_the_hood_openvswitch.html

my ovs:
# ovs-vsctl show
808d72a8-4599-4bfa-80ef-b1eb60caf760
     Bridge br-osdrv
         Port phy-br-osdrv
             Interface phy-br-osdrv
         Port br-osdrv
             Interface br-osdrv
                 type: internal
         Port "bond1"
             Interface "bond1"
     Bridge br-int
         Port br-int
             Interface br-int
                 type: internal
         Port int-br-osdrv
             Interface int-br-osdrv
         Port "tap5c532b4c-ef"
             tag: 1
             Interface "tap5c532b4c-ef"
                 type: internal
     Bridge br-ex
         Port "eth1"
             Interface "eth1"
         Port br-ex
             Interface br-ex
                 type: internal
     ovs_version: "1.11.0"

some ovs plugin conf:
integration_bridge=br-int
bridge_mappings=vlans-osdrv:br-osdrv
tenant_network_type=vlan
enable_tunneling=False
network_vlan_ranges=vlans-osdrv:1050:1053