[Openstack] Help - swift with low IOPS

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Tue Sep 3 10:46:47 UTC 2013

>> http://engineering.spilgames.com/openstack-swift-lots-small-files/
>
> there are many containers (more than 100 millions), but objects under
> each container are few (less than 20). There is only one account for
> TempAuth.

Hi,

For each countainer there is a sql-lite database.
Creating 100 million containers means that you have 100Million + files on the account/container nodes (each container has a database file).
So you are creating the same issue as described in my blogpost but now on a container level.
The issue might be a bit less since they are on SSDs but I would look at the disk IO usage on the account/container node to make sure you did create a bottleneck there.

Also if all those containers are in one account you might get slow sqllite operations for that account.
(you should only notice this for operations concerning containers like adding/removing containers)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen