[Openstack] Swift sharding across containers

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at maginatics.com
Mon Sep 2 02:39:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

There have been several articles which talk about keeping the number of
objects in a container to about 1M. Beyond that sqlite starts becoming the
bottleneck. I am going to make sure we abide by this number.

However, has anyone measured whether putting objects among multiple
containers right from the start gives any performance benefits. For e.g. I
could create 32 containers right at the start and split the objects among
these as I write more and more objects. In the average case, I would have
several partially filled containers instead of a few fully filled ones
(fully filled means having 1M objects). Would this be better for the
overall performance? Any downsides of this approach? Has anyone tried this
before and published numbers on this?

Thanks in advance.
-Shri