[Openstack] Promoting the role of +1 reviewers in our community

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Oct 30 07:55:20 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 12:08 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, I did something crazy and got into the "top 10" reviewers for
> OpenStack in a 30/60 day window. Admittedly, this was for documentation
>  - which is quite a bit different than code - but the experience did
> give me a small window of insight into the challenge faced by our
> venerable core reviewers. It's a really tough job!

Tom, Benefiting from your crazyiness ;) with great reviews and quick
merges, let me first thank you for the great job you did - and all the
other reviewers do as well!

> One of the aspects that I noticed in doing so many reviews is that a
> review was much easier to perform if another reviewer had been through
> it beforehand. That is, a patch had gone through a couple of -1
> iterations to finally get a +1 before I saw it.
>
> This made me think a little about how much emphasis we place as a
> community on +2 reviews. It can seem at times like they're the only
> reviews we care about. Hell, I've even heard song lyrics from a
> community member that imply this :D
>
> I think it's time to bend that focus slightly, and promote the role of
> the +1 reviewers. Every review that a non-core reviewer does helps
> reduce the burden of core reviewers just that little bit.

I consider to change the above to praise the "-1 reviewers" and ask for
more ;). The constructive critique given by good -1 review helps with
iteration over a patch and getting it in shape - and sharing the load of
reviews.

> Do you see this too? How can we help encourage more +1 reviews?
>
> Anyway, here's cheers to all the non-core reviewers :)

Cheers from me as well!

Andreas