[Openstack] MTU 1400? No thanks! - VXLAN users not affected!

Darragh O'Reilly dara2002-openstack at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 08:31:57 UTC 2013

Hi Thiago,

you don't say what version of OVS. It must be >=1.10.0 because you are using
VXLAN. From that version the way MTU and tunnels is handled has changed.

See "- Tunneling: " in http://openvswitch.org/releases/NEWS-1.10.0

Here is a tcpdump with with OVS 1.10.2  where all interfaces have an MTU of

1500. GRE tunnels are used and there are no connectivity problems.

http://paste.openstack.org/show/50025/
The messages with "IP truncated-ip - 18 bytes missing!" mean IP fragmentation

is happening.

Re, Darragh.