[Openstack] MTU 1400? No thanks! - VXLAN users not affected!

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 18:59:33 UTC 2013

Guys,

I am not detecting any problems related to "MTU = 1500" when using VXLAN!

It is easy to reproduce the "GRE MTU problem", when using GRE tunnels with
MTU = 1500, from a Instance, it is impossible to use RubyGems (Ubuntu 12.04
Instance), for example, "gem install bundler" (neither "bundle install"
your RoR App) doesn't work with MTU 1500 on top of a GRE tunnel, with MTU
1400 is fine.

But, now with VXLAN, I'm using MTU 1500 again without any problems!

Honestly, I don't know for sure if RubyGems changed too or, if it is
related to VXLAN being a bit better than GRE, anyway, I'll keep my Havana
cloud running with MTU 1500 from now on.

Cheers!
Thiago