[Openstack] Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Oct 25 21:45:40 UTC 2013

On 10/25/2013 02:37 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> WOW!! Thank you for your time Rick! Awesome answer!!    =D
>
> I'll do this tests (with ethtool GRO / CKO) tonight but, do you think
> that this is the main root of the problem?!
>

> I mean, I'm seeing two distinct problems here:
>
> 1- Slow connectivity to the External network plus SSH lags all over the
> cloud (everything that pass trough L3 / Namespace is problematic), and;
>
> 2- Communication between two Instances on different hypervisors (i.e.
> maybe it is related to this GRO / CKO thing).
>

> So, two different problems, right?!

One or two problems I cannot say.    Certainly if one got the benefit of
stateless offloads in one direction and not the other, one could see
different performance limits in each direction.

All I can really say is I liked it better when we were called Quantum,
because then I could refer to it as "Spooky networking at a distance."
  Sadly, describing Neutron as "Networking with no inherent charge"
doesn't work as well :)

rick jones