[Openstack] Migrate instances/tenants between clouds

Alexander Stellwag openstack at stellwag.net
Fri Oct 25 09:03:59 UTC 2013

Tim,

On 24.10.2013 19:51, Tim Bell wrote:
> Have you tried
>
> - snapshot
> - glance download of the snapshot
> - glance upload of the snapshot to new instance
> - boot from snapshot

thank you very much. This is working fine but unfortunately not enough
for us. This way, we loose all the metadata of both the instance and the
template:

- security groups
- SSH keys
- attached volumes
- associated fixed and floating IP addresses.

The idea is to have the VMs in the new environment appear exactly as
they did in the old one, so simply moving a snapshot between the clouds
does not work :(

We'll probably end up writing a migration tool to achieve our goals and
I' pretty confident we'll be able to make it publicly available vo github.

Cheers,
Alex
--
Alexander Stellwag
Deutsche Telekom AG Products & Innovation