[Openstack] Migrate instances/tenants between clouds

Alexander Stellwag openstack at stellwag.net
Fri Oct 25 08:56:36 UTC 2013

Joshua,

On 24.10.2013 21:48, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Whatever happened to doing in-place upgrades?
>
> Has that been problematic for u, are people just not doing it? If
> they are avoiding it, why?

If it was possible for us, then I would be the first to do it.
Unfortunately it's not that easy because we're also changing the
complete infrastructure (most notably going from nova-network to
neutron/ovs)

> Shouldn't just going from folsom->havana work, if not, why not; it
> worries me that this isn't priority #0 if it doesn't work.

It works as long as you stick with your old network layout. I do
sincerly hope that this is the only migration we must to "the hard way".

Cheers,
Alex

> On 10/24/13 10:51 AM, "Tim Bell" <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:
>

>> Have you tried
>>
>> - snapshot - glance download of the snapshot - glance upload of the
>> snapshot to new instance - boot from snapshot
>>
>> The process we use at CERN is documented at
>> http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/book/cern-cloud-infrastructure-u

ser-guide/images/migrating-using-images