[Openstack] Isolating resources / AZ or Region ?

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Mon Oct 21 15:25:13 UTC 2013

For reference, here's a detailed description of the possible ways to
segregate OpenStack Compute:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ops/content/scaling.html#segregate_cloud

My initial thought is to base your decision on how you want your segregated
cloud to appear. For example: do you want each segregated area to have its
own quota? If so, look into Cells or Regions. If not, then look into AZs or
Host Aggregates.

As another example, with Regions, users will have to explicitly log in to a
different region through the Dashboard. The different regions will not
appear as one large Compute service. I'm not sure how Cells work in this
regard. AZs and HAs appear under the same Dashboard session.

I'm not familiar enough with Neutron to know how a certain choice will
affect the network service. I do know that separate Compute environments
can share the same Identity and Image services, though.

I hope that helps,
Joe

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ
<thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I would like to achieve the following configuration:
>

> 1- OpenStack Havana Cloud
>
> 1.1- AZ or Region - #1: KVM Compute Nodes
>
> 1.2- AZ or Region - #2: Docker Compute Nodes
>
> If possible:
>
> 1.3- AZ or Region - #1.1: KVM Compute Nodes with VNC - For Servers
>
> 1.4- AZ or Region - #1.2: KVM Compute Nodes with SPICE - For Desktops
>
> 1.5 AZ or Region - #1.2.1: KVM Compute Nodes with IOMMU + GPU Passthrough
> + SPICE - For Render Farms
>

> The topology I'm using in production today is "Per-Tenant router with
> Private Networs".
>
> I already have my Havana up and running and I would like to add a new
> "environment" (Region or AZ?) powered by Docker, side by side with my
> regular KVM Compute Nodes, if possible.
>
> I'm not using Chef or Puppet, just fresh Ubuntu 12.04.3 with Havana from
> Cloud Archive all installed by hand.
>
> I would like to know the "best practices" to achieve a goal like this.
>
> Thanks!
> Thiago

Joe Topjian
Systems Architect
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.