[Openstack] question on physical name for provider network

Xin Zhao xzhao at bnl.gov
Wed Oct 16 14:50:10 UTC 2013

Hello,

I've been puzzled by the "physical_name" for the physical networks. Our
grizzly cluster follows the typical
3 nodes setup that is described in many documents, with one physical
network associated with the internal data network,
and another physical network associated with the public network.

In the config file, I have entries for the internal physical network:

[OVS]
tenant_network_type = vlan
network_vlan_ranges = physdatanet:10:15

When I try to create a provider network for L3 agent, it fails:

$> quantum net-create extnet --router:external True
--provider:network_type flat --provider:physical_network physextnet
Invalid input for operation: Unknown provider:physical_network physextnet

It looks like the code is trying to match the physical_network name with
the one in the config file. But aren't they different physical
networks ?

Any idea what I miss here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Xin