[Openstack] Seeking Advice & Info for New Installation

Sarah Gerweck sarah.a180 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 04:38:58 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I have a couple of quick questions about setting up OpenStack. I need to
set up a bunch of new VMs on some new hardware in the next few days and
am wondering about the best options I have available.

I'd very much like to be able to use Docker images, and I understand
that this means that I need the new Havana release. (Right?)

Is Havana still on track to be released in two days? Or is the release
calendar out of date? If Havana will really be out in two days I will
certainly wait. If Havana is coming late, does anybody have a best-guess
ballpark timeline? (A week? A month? A quarter? I promise not to
complain if it's inaccurate: I'm just trying to figure out if it would
be worth waiting.)

If I want to install Havana before it's officially released, what's the
best way to do that? For the OS, is the Ubuntu server distro with
bundled OpenStack the best way to go? (That is my current inclination,
as I want to get this stuff working as quickly as possible---but I
obviously don't want to do anything stupid.)

Is there a good preview build of Ubuntu+OpenStack out there that has the
latest Havana builds or would I need to roll my own? (And how hard is this?)

If I were to install the current Ubuntu server distro with Grizzly, how
hard would it be to upgrade everything later? I won't have a big cluster
or anything: just a couple of very powerful boxes. (I wouldn't want to
have to recreate the VMs or reinstall the OS, but some downtime wouldn't
be a problem.)

I've never installed OpenStack before but I'm pretty good at figuring
things out. I'm sure I can read the manual when it comes time to do the
actual setup: I'm just looking for a little bit of information to help
me figure out what I want to set up.

Thanks in advance,
/Sarah/