[Openstack] Cells use cases

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Fri Oct 4 06:51:30 UTC 2013

On Oct 3, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Great to see further improvements are in the pipeline. The cinder support for cells in Havana is a very welcome development.

Oh yes, I forgot that landed during Havana.  It had been done during the Grizzly timeframe but didn't make the cut.

> For our Grizzly instance, we’re also seeing some issues around flavors / availability zone definition along with some ceilometer functions.
>
> It would be good to have a list of what is expected not to work in Havana (so that we don’t accidentally think something is not working yet but it is just a configuration issue).

Besides the Cinder support, I don't think anything major was done.  I think we did get some additional extensions (the hosts/hypervisors one at least) working with cells by implementing the compute HostAPI().  But yeah, good idea.

Maybe one thing to note: the old configuration of specifying compute_api_class in the API cell is deprecated and will be removed in Icehouse.  The replacement is specifying cell_type=api or cell_type=compute under [cells] config section.

- Chris