[Openstack] [Foundation Board] Resolutions from the Technical Committee

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 08:37:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 07:40 +0000, Radcliffe, Mark wrote:
> We need to distinguish between (1) adding the modules to the "Core
> OpenStack Project" which requires a recommendation by the TC and
> approval by the Board and (2) adding the modules to an integrated
> release (including Core OpenStack Project) which uses the OpenStack
> brand.

We already clearly make this distinction. That was the primary
conclusion of the Incubation Update Committee:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/IncubationUpdate2013

> We don't yet have approval for adding these modules to the Core
> OpenStack Project (Hypothetical 1). However, adding the modules to an
> integrated release (including Core OpenStack Project) using the
> OpenStack brand is permitted (Hypothetical 2).  However, the use of a
> term "Orchestration" with the OpenStack mark, such as OpenStack
> Orchestration needs Board approval.

Yes, that's the TC's reasoning behind recommending to the board that
Heat and Ceilometer be added to the "Core OpenStack Project".

And the TC sees a big distinction between this meaning of "Core
OpenStack Project" and "the set of functionality/APIs/code which must be
included in products licensed to use the OpenStack brand".

The latter meaning of "core" is not defined in or covered by the bylaws
AFAICT.

Mark.