[Openstack] [Foundation Board] Resolutions from the Technical Committee

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 06:46:17 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 07:58 -0600, mark at openstack.org wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Also, there are two trademark concepts being mixed here.
>
> 1)
> *Can* the projects themselves use the word "OpenStack" such as
> "OpenStack Orchestration"?
> Answer: yes absolutely. This is already a done deal and we are already
> doing it in practice. And its covered under the bylaws once they are
> included in the integrated release by TC vote. There is no need for
> further action.

That's not our understanding. See the parts of the bylaws quoted here:

  https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/resolutions/20131106-ceilometer-and-heat-official-names

I think it's pretty clear that unless a 'module' (e.g. Heat) is added to
the 'Core OpenStack Project' by the board on the recommendation of the
TC, it can't call itself e.g. OpenStack Orchestration.

Mark.