[Openstack] Storage decision

Razique Mahroua razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 20:02:41 UTC 2013

Hi Julien,
we do discussed that topic many times. With Havana, things are a bit different, but on our previous discussion, we challenged a couple of technologies for the shared storage.
It boils down in the end to :
- the resources you have
- what you are trying to achieve

•Ceph cluster IS production ready, that’s the CephFS which is not, and that’s that FS which is a shared one. In my testing (supported by others), the FS kept hanging on high load, so I considered it to be pretty unstable for OpenStack.
• iSCSI gave me the best performance so far, what you need to do is to create first the iSCSI LUN on you SAN and map is as a block device. Libvirt is able to use that as storage.
• NFS was too slow, and I ended up having locks, and a stalled FS
• MooseFS will give you good performance, but it’s not adviced to use it for storing and manipulating big images. Make sure to have a solid network backend as well for that cluster :)
• GlusterFS is easy to manage, but I only had bad experience with Windows instances (aka big instances :D) the replication process was eating all the cpu and the I/O were very slow.

Here is a previous topic:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2013-July/003310.html

regards,
Razique