[Openstack] Wiping of old cinder volumes

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat Nov 2 05:05:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Caitlin Bestler
<caitlin.bestler at nexenta.com> wrote:
> Why not just ask the volume driver to "delete securely" or 'delete with
> wipe'?
> It could even be a level of erasure, if people want to be real paranoid.
> Whatever it is, the vendor's volume driver will know the best way to do it.

I'm afraid maybe I wasn't clear above, what I was saying is that there
*is* already a configuration option for secure delete
(secure_delete=None) for example will skip the dd operation altogether
as well as provide some other options in terms of how a secure delete
is done.

I agree that it's necessary in some environments, and that some won't
want to use thin provisioning which is fine.  I completely agree that
we need to come up with a compromise here, I just wanted to point out
the options that exist today.