[Openstack] Understanding Failure Recovery in Swift

Mark.Abrahamson at hgst.com Mark.Abrahamson at hgst.com
Thu May 9 20:55:20 UTC 2013

Hi-

I am trying to get a better understanding of how Swift recovers from
failure.   I've read the documentation, but the process is still somewhat
unclear.

I have a simple 5-node Swift cluster deployed with a replica count of 3 (3
zones and 2 handoff zones for a total of 5).    I load the cluster with
some test data, and then on one of the nodes I shutdown swift and rsync. I
then purge the account, container, and object data from the node I
shutdown.   When I start swift back up again on the purged node, how can I
detect that replication has completed and the missing data has been
restored to the node that I purged?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.